by Connie Oswald Stofko
At the Children’s Garden Festival, kids and families can enjoy hands-on activities while learning about planting bulbs, composting, fall produce, and how to be good environmental stewards in their own neighborhoods.
It will be held rain or shine from 2 to 5 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 8 in Martin Luther King Jr. Park, near Fillmore & N. Parade, Buffalo.
Activities are free. They include:
- Education about Gardens and the Environment: Composting and worm demos, planting activities, beekeeper photo ops, and more. Conservation groups and family organizations will join us to entertain and educate, including the Buffalo Science Museum, Urban Roots Cooperative Garden Market and Zawadi Books.
- Food and Snacks: Free pizza, cotton candy, popcorn, drinks, fruits and veggies provided by The Resource Council of WNY and Buffalo Go Green.
- Giveaways: Including bulbs, gardening books, winter clothes, and pumpkins.
- Children’s Bike Repairs: Free repairs by Go Bike Buffalo.
- Games and Entertainment: Including bounce houses, pumpkin decorating and crafts.
- Community: Bringing neighbors together to foster community and unity.
Children’s Garden Festival and the East Side Garden Walk are events produced by Gardens Buffalo Niagara, whose mission is to create more vibrant and beautiful communities by sharing gardens. Other events include Garden Walk Buffalo, Tours of Open Gardens on Thursdays and Fridays in July, The Buffalo Style Garden Art Sale and Urban Farm Day.