Find out not only how to get rid of pests, but why the pests are there in the first place with What’s Bugging You First Fridays.
Get practical advice in this new virtual series. Learn how to use integrated pest management (IPM), a wholistic approach that uses different tools and practices to avoid pest problems, deal with pest problems and promote a healthy environment.
Topics will be geared to the season. The speaker will cover a topic in 25 minutes, including time for questions. Then, in an IPM Minute, they’ll cover a specific task you can perform in the next few days to help you avoid pest problems.
Events will take place on Zoom from noon to 12:30 p.m. on the first Friday of every month.
See details and registration information here or call CCE Chautauqua at 716-664-9502.
Topics and IPM Minutes are:
- March 5. Topic: Spotted lanternfly: a new invasive pest.
- April 2. Topic: Dealing with springtime ants. IPM Minute: Protect yourself against ticks.
- May 7. Topic: Rolling out the red carpet for good bugs in your garden. IPM Minute: Scouting for spotted lanternfly egg masses.
- June 4. Topic: A better lawn without pesticides. IPM Minute: Avoiding the sting: inspections to locate and remove wasp nests.
- July 2. Topic: Finding and eliminating mosquitoes in your yard. IPM Minute: Hand-picking Japanese beetles from plants.
- Aug. 6. Topic: How to pick over-the-counter pesticides. IPM Minute: Yellowjacket trapping to catch aggressive wasps.
- Sept. 3. Topic: Keeping pests out of your home this fall, from stink bugs to mice. IPM Minute: Adult ticks are out for blood – how to avoid them.
- Oct. 1. Topic: How to get rid of pantry moths. IPM Minute: What to do if stink bugs got inside?
- Nov. 5. Topic: Dealing with mice in your home. IPM Minute: Identifying sources of clothes moths.
- Dec. 3. Topic: Avoid getting and spreading bed bugs. IPM Minute: Fruit flies – don’t bother me!
- Jan. 7. Topic: Picking pest-resistant vegetable seeds. IPM Minute: Best practices for storing bird seed in winter.
- Feb. 4. Topic: Fungus gnats and indoor plants–what’s the deal? IPM Minute: Recognizing and avoiding woodpecker damage on your home.
Recordings of previous sessions will be available soon in the What’s Bugging You First Fridays playlist on YouTube.