If you like to talk to people and have an interest in plants, consider becoming a docent at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens.
Docents lead tours, teach hands-on programs and help with many educational events at the Botanical Gardens. An education background is not required, but a high level of interest and enthusiasm is.
The docent training will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Thursdays, Aug. 8, 15, 22, 29 and Sept. 5 and 12 at the Botanical Gardens, 2655 South Park Ave., Buffalo.
To become a docent, a volunteer needs to:
- Complete the weekly docent training class series
- Have an interest or appreciation of plants and gardening
- Feel comfortable talking with groups of visitors of all ages and abilities
- Be able to volunteer in the Education Department for at least 24 hours per calendar year for tours and/or hands-on lessons
- Be adaptable and have a sense of humor
People who have been trained as a docent in the past and haven’t been involved recently are also welcome to attend the training.
For more information, call 827-1584, ext. 730 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.