by Connie Oswald Stofko
When Julie Anderhalt was looking for a house in 1989, it was a seller’s market. A house would go on the market and it would be bought in an hour. So when she found a house she liked and realized someone else was interested in it, she quickly put in an offer. It was a whirlwind, she said, but her offer was accepted.
Later she asked the owner of the house who owned the lot next door.
“You do,” he replied.
That how Anderhalt found out she had actually bought a double lot. She doesn’t like grass much, so she has spent years installing garden after garden on the large property.
You can see her gardens at 94 Huntington Ct., Hamburg, during the Village of Hamburg Garden Walk to be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, July 9 and 10.
It’s a free, self-guided garden walk. Pick up a map at Memorial Park, corner of Lake & Union Streets in the Village of Hamburg.
Other local garden walks this weekend are:
- The 12th annual Lockport in Bloom, a city-wide garden tour, will be held 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, July 9 and 10. The Twilight in the Garden evening walk will take place from 6:30 to 9 p.m. Saturday, July 9. Maps will be available at the Garden Walk Headquarters at the Kenan Center, 433 Locust St., Lockport.
- The Scene Around Town Garden Walk will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 9 in Springville. Pick up maps at Fiddler’s Green Park, Franklin and S. Buffalo St., Springville. There will also be a free raffle, with prizes donated by Waterman’s Greenhouse.
- The Town of Amherst Garden Walk will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, July 9. You can pick up maps at Arbordale Nurseries; 480 Dodge Rd., Getzville, Menne Nursery, 3100 Niagara Falls Blvd., Amherst, and at 111 Campus Drive West, Snyder, on the day of the walk.
- The Grand Island Garden Walk will be held from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sunday, July 10. Maps for the tour can be picked up at the Town Commons Gazebo at the corner of Whitehaven and Baseline Rd., Grand Island.
- The Snyder-CleveHill Garden View will be held from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Sunday, July 10. Maps for the tour can be picked up at Trillium’s Courtyard Florist, 2195 Kensington Ave., Amherst.