If you love gardening and botany, consider sharing your passion with others by volunteering as a docent at the Buffalo and Erie County Botanical Gardens, 2655 South Park Ave., Buffalo.
Docents work with people of all ages. They lead tours of the Botanical Gardens for a variety of groups year round, teach hands-on programs to school-aged children and scout groups, facilitate activities in the Wegmans’ Family Garden, answer visitor questions during special plant exhibits and events and assist staff in programs that inspire and educate visitors about all the Gardens has to offer.
To become a docent, you need to:
- Complete the weekly docent training class series, which runs from Sept. 11 to Nov. 13, See the docent training schedule and more details on the training here.
- Have an interest or appreciation of plants and gardening.
- Feel comfortable talking with groups of visitors of all ages and abilities.
- Be able to volunteer in the Education Department for at least 24 hours per calendar year for tours and/or hands-on lessons.
- Be adaptable and have a sense of humor.
For more information, go to the docents page or contact Kristy Blakely, director of education, at 827-1584, ext. 291 or email@example.com.