Date(s) - Wednesday, Sep 23, 2015
12:00 pm-1:00 pm
What is biotechnology? What effect does it have on our environment?
Learn more in this three-part webinar series with a panel of six university researchers sharing their perspectives on biotechnology in our food production systems. Each session will end with an audience Q & A. Join the conversation.
A webinar is a live meeting that takes place on the internet. You can listen to the presenters and type in your question at the end.
Part 1: Wednesday, Sept. 23, noon – 1 p.m.
- Resistance to Viruses in Plants: A Successful Application of Biotechnology Dr. Marc Fuchs – Associate Professor, School of Integrative Plant Science, Plant Pathology and Plant-Microbe Biology Section, Cornell University, NYS Agricultural Experiment Station, Geneva, NY
- Breeding: Workhorse of Agriculture Sustainability Dr. Alison Van Eenennaam – Cooperative Extension Specialist, Animal Genomics and Biotechnology, Department of Animal Science, UCDavis, Davis, CA
Join this session via: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.phpMTID=m3f41d5c2dc0d2e98216a1c5bb6258e2a and use password: Cce2015!
Part 2: Wednesday Sept. 30, 3 – 4 p.m.
- What is GMO Anyway? Dr. Peggy G. Lemaux – Cooperative Extension Specialist, Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA
- What Would Rachel Carson Say About Biotechnology? Dr. Tony Shelton – International Professor, Department of Entomology, Associate Director of International Programs, Cornell University, NYSAES, Geneva, NY
Join this session via: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=m7d89ee11e45ca3d9013b1acf50320bcc and use password: Cce2015!
Part 3: Monday, Oct. 5, 3 – 4 p.m.
- How the Trees Got Their Shape Dr. Chris Dardick – Plant Molecular Biologist/Pathologist, USDA ARS Appalachian Fruit Research Station, Kearneysville, WV
- Getting Ready for the Coming Arctic Apples Dr. Kenong Xu – Professor of Tree Fruit Genomics, Horticulture Section, School of Integrative Plant Science, Cornell University, NYS Agricultural Experiment Station, Geneva, NY
Join this session via: https://cornell.webex.com/cornell/j.php?MTID=mc4cf4fe0418ca80c97405a7abd2610d3 and use password: Cce2015!